I had the great opportunity to speak to a bunch of my marketing peers at the Marketing Sherpa B2B Demand Generation Summit in Boston today (#sherpaB2B09). It was part of a panel discussion, and there were no slides, but my notes are below Enjoy and share!
Background on Social Media for Lead Generation
- Why is social media marketing important?
- We have built a bubble around us to block out these outbound marketing messages
- Only through more inbound marketing approaches can you attract people who have built this bubble around them
- Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter are all 100% controlled by the user who decides if they want to start communicating with you - unlike email, phone and direct mail where anyone can contact you, and then you have to tell them to stop 2. What is a social media marketing campaign?
- At HubSpot, we have no social media marketing campaigns
- Using social media and inbound marketing is a way of life. We are always trying to have an ongoing dialog with our market
Example: Social Media Marketing for Lead Generation Case Study
At HubSpot, we did a webinar on "How to Use Twitter for Marketing and PR" in March 2008 (this was way before Twitter had achieved mainstream popularity).
Step 1: Start by building assets
- Blog - 5,000 subscribers at the time (we have over 20,000 RSS and email subscribers today)
- LinkedIn Group - about 5,000 members at the time (there are over 40,000 members today)
- Twitter Company Account - About 1,000 followers of @HubSpot at the time (we have over 20,000 today)
- Facebook Fan Page - About 500 fans at the time (we have over 6,000 fans today)
Step 2: Use your marketing assets to promote your offer
- Wrote a blog article about Twitter marketing tips that also mentioned the webinar
- Emailed an appropriate segment of our opt-in house list about the webinar
- Posted the webinar as an event on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Added links on the webinar registration page to share with your friends on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook
Lead Generation Results for this Case Study
- Landing page conversion rate over 50%
- Over 4,000 people registered for the webinar (4,000 leads!)
- Triple the size of our largest previous webinar (we have since grown to as many as 8,000 people registering for a HubSpot webinar)
- Over 30% of the webinar registrants were not on our email list
- 1,200 completely new leads!
- Hundreds of qualified leads for the sales team, generating hundreds of opportunities representing over $500,000 in pipeline created
- SEO: The blog article and the archived webinar rank extremely well, even today - 18 months later
- First page of Google organic search for phrases like "Twitter Marketing" and "Twitter PR"
- #1 Google ranking for "Twitter for Marketing and PR", "Twitter for Marketing", "Twitter Webinar"
- Blog: One of top 10 most popular blog articles ever
- Over 20,000 people have read the article, leaving over 100 comments
- Over 1,500 people found that blog article about the webinar during last month, over 18 months later
- The archived webinar has been viewed over 16,000 times, over 1,000 of those in the last 30 days
- Total cost $3,000 - About $1,000 for webinar software, plus our time to create the content (probably a total of 40 hours at an estimated cost of $2000 at $50/hour)
Final Advice on Social Media Marketing for Lead Generation
- Think about social media marketing as part of a holistic inbound marketing strategy
- Social media marketing is not a campaign, it is a marketing lifestyle
- Blogging and publishing content is essential to social media success
- Archive your social content and optimize it for search engines to make it perform for months into the future
- Focus on building long term marketing assets
Webinar: Twitter for Marketing and PR
Download the free webinar for tips and tricks to drive inbound marketing using Twitter.